Most frequently asked AWS S3 Interview Questions
- What is Amazon S3?
- What is Amazon S3 Replication?
- Name the Storage Classes available in Amazon S3?
- What is Elastic Block Store?
- What are the types of EBS Volume?
- What is Storage Gateway?
- What is the default storage class in AWS S3?
- How can we manage access to Amazon S3 buckets?
- How to delete a AWS s3 bucket?
- How can we add cache control in AWS S3?
- What is CloudFront in Amazon S3?
- What are the features of CloudFront?
- Explain S3 Versioning?
What is Amazon S3?Amazon S3 acts as a storage serveice that allows the industry leading scalibility.We can use s3 for storing and recovering a cerain amount at any point from anywhere on the web.
We can store unlimited amount of data and number of objects, the objects size can be a range between 0 bytes to 5 terabytes.We can perform tasks relating to AWS management console, easy and automatic web interface.
Amazon S3 is a scalable, high speed , low cost web based service that is designed for online backup and archiving data and application programs.
What is Amazon S3 Replication?AWS S3 Replication helps in asynchronous copying of objects across AWS S3 buckets.It is an elastic, low cost and fully managed feature that helps in replicating objects in buckets, it also offers flexibilty and functionality in cloud storage with giving us the controls we need meet our data sovereignty and other business needs.
Name the Storage Classes available in Amazon S3?Storage Classes available are as follows: Amazon S3 Standard - Acts as a default storage class, if none specified during upload.
Amazon S3 Standard-Infrequent Access - Helps in accessing data less frequently but need rapid access.
Amazon S3 Reduced Redundancy Storage - Helps in reproducing data at lower levels of redundancy than Amazon S3's standard storage.
Amazon Glacier - Helps in providing storage for data archiving and backup.
What is Elastic Block Store?EBS (Amazon Elastic Block Storage) is a system used in storing persistent data it is also suitable for EC2 instances by providing highly available block level storage volumes.
What are the types of EBS Volume?There are three types of EBS Volume:
- EBS General Purpose (SSD) - This volume works for small and medium workloads like Root disc EC2.
- Provisioned IOPS (SSD) - This volume works for the most demanding I/O intensive and large workloads like Hadoop workload.
- EBS Magnetic Volumes - It is also known as standard volumes.It works for ideal workloads like data backups and log storage.
What is Storage Gateway?AWS Storage Gateway helps in providing integration between IT environment and AWS storage, the user can store data in AWS cloud for scalable, data security and cost efficient features.
What is the default storage class in AWS S3?STANDARD is the default storage class in AWS S3.
How can we manage access to Amazon S3 buckets?There are many ways we can manage to access Amazon S3 buckets:
IAM - Helps in managing Users, Groups and Roles.
ACL - Helps in managing objects via Access control lists.
S3 Access Points - Helps in managing data sets through access point specific to each applications.
S3 Bucket Policies - Helps in managing resources and permissions at bucket level.
How to delete a AWS s3 bucket?There are some steps for deleting AWS s3 bucket:
- Login to AWS Management Console.
- Select S3 from services.
- Check the bucket you want to delete.
- Click on the delete button. As confirmation Aws ask you to type the bucket name to delete.
- Type bucket name and click on the Confirm button.
How can we add cache control in AWS S3?We can add cache control in AWS S3 by using this code:
./s3cmd --recursive modify --add-header="Cache-Control:max-age=86400" s3://yourbucket/
What is CloudFront in Amazon S3?CloudFront is a Content Dilevery Network which retrieves data from Amazon S3 bucket and distributes it to various datacenter locations.It also delivers the data through a network of data centers called edge locations, the location is routed when the user asks for data, resulting, in the lowest latency with low network traffic, fast access to data.
What are the features of CloudFront?
- Provides high transfer rates and low network traffic.
- It caches copies of content, close to the end users that will results in lowering latency.
- It is easy to use.
- By using cloudfront we can pay only for the content that we deliver through the network.
- It is built on highly reliable infrastructure.
- It uses global network of edge location located in most of the regions.
Explain S3 Versioning?Versioning helps us in keeping multiple variants of an objects in a bucket, also helps in restoring objects to a specific version of an object.
We can use versioning to recover a deleted or mistakenly overwritten object.