Top Pivotal Cloud Foundry(PCF) Interview Questions
What is meant by Pivotal Cloud Foundry?
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) is a multi-cloud framework for software, container and task development, maintenance and continuous delivery.
- PCF is an open source Cloud Foundry distribution that Pivotal Software, Inc. has developed and maintained.
- Pivotal Cloud Foundry abstracts the process of setting up and maintaining an application runtime environment to allow developers to focus exclusively on their apps and related data.
How PCF (Pivotal Cloud Foundry) is different from AWS (Amazon Web Services)?Following is difference:
- PCF - can be used as PaaS -[Platform as a Service]
- AWS - can be used as IaaS -[Infrastructure as a Service]
What is Cloud Foundry BuildPackBuildpacks offer support for applications in the system and runtime. Usually, buildpacks analyze the apps to decide which modules to install and how to set up applications to connect with attached providers. Cloud Foundry automatically detects an appropriate buildpack for it when you push an app. It Compiles and prepare the app for release using this buildpack.
Difference between IaaS vs PaaS?PaaS - Platform as a Service
- Cloud platform services, also known as Platform as a Service (PaaS), provide certain software with cloud components when used primarily for applications.
- PaaS provides developers with a platform that they can develop on and use to create separate products.
- The enterprise or a third-party provider can manage all servers, storage, and networking while the developers are able to maintain application.
- PaaS allows companies to develop and build systems with special software modules that are built into the PaaS.
- Such programs, also referred to as middleware, are versatile and highly available because they presume some cloud functionality.
- Advantages of PaaS
- Developers can develop apps without the need to manage the software
- A substantial reduction in the amount of coding required
- Highly accessible
- Accessible to many users via the same software for production
- Builds on virtualization software, so as the company evolves, resources can be quickly expanded or decreased
- Provides a variety of services to help develop, test and launch applications
IaaS: Infrastructure as a Service
- Cloud infrastructure services, known as Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), made of computer resources that are highly scalable and automated
- IaaS provides complete self-service to connect and track machines, networking, storage and other resources.
- IaaS allows companies to purchase on-demand and as-needed services instead of strictly purchasing hardware.
- IaaS offers cloud computing services through virtualization technologies, including servers, network, operating systems, and storage.
- Such cloud services are typically provided by a portal or an API to the enterprise, giving full control over the entire network to IaaS users.
- IaaS clients manage aspects such as applications, runtime, operating systems, middleware, and data.
- Some providers offer even more features beyond the framework of virtualization, such as servers and queuing emails.
- Advantages of IaaS
- Purchases of hardware can be based on consumption
- Highly scalable
- Clients retain full control of their infrastructure
- Easy to automate deployment of storage, networking, servers, and processing power
- Resources as a service are available
- The cost depends on the consumption.
- Organization retains full infrastructure oversight
What is BOSH in Cloud Foundry ?
- BOSH is an open source tool for the release engineering, deployment, lifecycle management and monitoring.
- BOSH is used by Cloud Foundry as the interaction layer with IAAS
- BOSH enables abstraction and IAAS interaction to be standardized.
- BOSH uses the Cloud Provide Interface to communicate with IAAS , which is implemented by the IAAS vendor
Difference between PCF DEV and PCF Enterprise ?PCF DEV
- PCF Dev is suitable for developers who want to explore and test PCF or those who are already actively developing PCF-based cloud-based applications
- Working with PCF Dev, developers will experience PCF's power from rapid development cycles allowed by consistent, organized builds to unlocked operational excellence through integrated reporting, tracking, and health monitoring and management.
- PCF Dev is a very slim variant of PCF operating on VirtualBox or VMWare Fusion on a single machine.
- Essentially it was meant to run exclusively on a laptop or PC. PCF Dev comes with tiles from Redis, RabbitMQ, and MySQL OR RMQ, MySql, and SCS.
- So, spinning up and deploying microservices and testing is a very good solution, a good quick turnaround option for the developer
- PCF Dev has no Bosh
- As you called it, a PCF Enterprise is a production-built PCF foundation.
- It has many characteristics. But some of the key characteristics are:
- Secure by default
- Self healing and Redundancy
- Polyglot support
What is the difference between Cloud Foundry, PCF Dev, PCF and Pivotal Web services?CF - Cloud Foundry is a project with an open source. It is created by the Foundation of the Cloud. Anyone can take and run the parts of the opensource.
PCF - Pivotal Cloud Foundry is a commercial version of Cloud Foundry that is produced by Pivotal. It has commercial functionalities appended above and beyond what is available in Cloud Foundry's open source version, but is 100% Cloud Foundry compliant.
PCF Dev - PCF Dev is a scaled down PCF version that can be run in a VM on your local machine. It has developer-oriented apps that would like to work locally and possibly offline. It has not all of PCF's functionality. It's free, but mixed in commercial components.
Pivotal Web services - This is Pivotal's hosted version of Cloud Foundry. The core runs the latest bits of open source, but Pivotal also mixes some of the services offered by PCF. PCF Dev has some services, but not as many as PWS.