Top AWS Aurora Interview Questions
- What is Amazon Aurora?
- What are the features of AWS Aurora?
- How can we migrate Oracle to Amazon Aurora?
- What are the benefits of Aurora?
- What is Amazon RDS for MySQL?
- Explain Aurora Architecture?
- What are the benefits of Amazon RDS for MySQL?
- How can we migrate commercial database to open source with AWS SCT and AWS DMS?
- What is Aurora DB cluster?
- Explain Superior Cloud Database?
- What are Endpoints?
- What is Amazon Aurora Pricing?
- What are the Limitation of Amazon Aurora?
- How can we associate a IAM Role with an Aurora Cluster using CloudFormation?
- How can Aurora Data Api from CloudFormation?
What is Amazon Aurora?AWS Aurora is a relational database used for the cloud, which helps in combing the performance and availability of traditional eneterprise database with the simplicity and cost effective of open source database.It is upto five times fater than Standard MySQL database and also its three times faster than standard PostgreSQL databases.
AWS Aurora helps in providing security, availability and reliability of commercial database, it is fully managed by AWS Relational Database Service(RDS) that helps in automate time consuming administration tasks such as hardware provisioning, database setup, patching, and backups.It is fault-tolerant, self-healing storage system that auto-scales up to 128TB per database instance and also delivers high performance and availability with up to 15 low-latency read replicas, point-in-time recovery, continuous backup to Amazon S3, and replication across three Availability Zones (AZs).
What are the features of AWS Aurora?Features of AWS Aurora are:
- Sub-Second Data Access - Global Database used for letting us sacle database for reading across the world and can place our application close to the users.
- Cross-Region Disaster Recovery - Aurora used for promoting the secondary regions for taking read/write responsibilities.The cluster helps in providing our application with an effective Recovery Point Objective (RPO) of 1 second and a Recovery Time Objective (RTO) of less than 1 minute, providing a strong foundation for a global business continuity plan.
How can we migrate Oracle to Amazon Aurora?
What are the benefits of Aurora?Benefits of AWS Aurora are:
- High Performance and Scalability - We can easily scale our database deployment up and down from smaller to larger instance
- Fully Managed - Aurora is fully managed by Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS), so we no longer need to worry about database management tasks such as hardware provisioning, software patching, setup, configuration, or backups.
- Highly Secure - Aurora provides multiple levels of security for your database.
- Migration Support - Aurora is used for compelling target for database migrations to the cloud.
- MySQL and PostgreSQL Compatible - Aurora is fully compatible with existing MySQL and PostgreSQL open source databases, and adds compatibility for new releases regularly.
- High Availability and Durability - Aurora can easily help in recovering from physical storage failures.
What is Amazon RDS for MySQL?AWS RDS for MySQL that frees focus on application development by managing time consuming database administration tasks such as backups, software patching, monitoring, scaling and replication.It supports Community Edition versions that are used with Amazon RDS.
Explain Aurora Architecture?
What are the benefits of Amazon RDS for MySQL?Benefits of Amazon RDS for MySQL:
- Easy, managed deployments - used for launching and connecting to a production-ready MySQL database in minutes.
- High availability and read replicas - used for providing enhanced availability and durability for our MySQL databases.
- Fast, predictable storage - used for providing two SSD-backed storage options for MySQL database.
- Monitoring and metrics - Amazon RDS Enhanced Monitoring provides access to over 50 CPU, memory, file system, and disk I/O metrics.
- Backup and recovery - used for enabling recovery of our MySQL database instance.
- Isolation and security - used for providing a high level of security for our MySQL databases.
How can we migrate commercial database to open source with AWS SCT and AWS DMS?
What is Aurora DB cluster?Aurora Database Cluster used for multiple database instance and a cluster volume that helps in managing the data instances, cluster volume is basically virtual database storage that are present in multiple availability zones and every zone contains a copy of the database cluster data.
There are 2 types of Aurora DB Cluster:
Primary DB instance - helps in performing all data modifications on the clusters.
Aurora Replica - used for supporting read operations, and connects to the same cluster which the primary database instance connects to.
Explain Superior Cloud Database?
What are Endpoints?Endpoints are a combination of host name and port that are created when a user connects to an Aurora cluster.There are 4 types of Endpoints:
- Cluster Endpoint used for connecting current primary DB instance and also in helping to perform write operations.
- Custom Endpoint used for representing set of DB instances that the user chooses.
- Reader Endpoint used for connecting Aurora replica, and is read only.
- Instance Endpoint used for connecting a specific DB instance and also in figuring out complications related to capacity or performance in a specific instance.
What is Amazon Aurora Pricing?
What are the Limitation of Amazon Aurora?At present backings MySQL-5.6.10 so if the user needs new features or want an older version of MySQL then the user can not access it.
The user can not use MyISAM tables since Aurora only supports InnoDB at present.
How can we associate a IAM Role with an Aurora Cluster using CloudFormation?
PostRunCommand: Description: You must run this awscli command after the stack is created and may also need to reboot the cluster/instance. Value: !Join [" ", [ "aws rds add-role-to-db-cluster --db-cluster-identifier", !Ref AuroraSandboxCluster, "--role-arn", !GetAtt AuroraS3Role.Arn, "--profile", !FindInMap [ AccountNameMap, !Ref AccountNamespace, profile ] ]]
How can Aurora Data Api from CloudFormation?
AWSTemplateFormatVersion: '2010-09-09' Description: Aurora PostgreSQL Serverless Cluster Resources: ServerlessWithDataAPI: Type: AWS::RDS::DBCluster Properties: Engine: aurora-postgresql EngineMode: serverless EnableHttpEndpoint: true ScalingConfiguration: ...